Thursday 17 January 2008

Evening notes


Above graphic shows where my viewers on the Tropical Cyclones blog are from. Bit of a mixed bag, really. Today saw 200 viewers, a good total for a day with an active cyclone (Funa) threatening Vanuatu, Fiji and possibly, possibly New Zealand.

Went to Ness (North Lewis) today to photograph the War Memorial there. It was a cold afternoon, but sunny, after the rainy start we had. Taking pictures took only a few minutes, but then I had 40 minutes on my hands before the bus came back. So, I ambled up the road through Cross, Swainbost and Habost. Another two memorials stand along the road to Ness, and I'll have to devise a way to visit them in one afternoon.

A few days ago, it was announced that a young man had taken his own life in the village of Brue, which lies 1½ miles west of Barvas. As the bus passed through, I could not help noticing the hundreds of yards of cars, parked along both sides of the A858 road towards Shawbost from Barvas. Obviously people attending the funeral service; a church is located along that stretch of road.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love your pie chart!  We're a mere 8% from what I see.    How sad for the family and friends of the young man.  I pray they will not carry a load of guilt regarding this young mans actions.  Suicide is always so dificult for those left behind.  Linda in cold, gloomy Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I've said this before, but the towns in your photographs always look they are a movie set or something ~ they are all so pristine and proper.  Very nice photos, I see you have starlings over there too!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad about the person who took there life. Now it's going to be 7 and -1 here in IL. this weekend. I'm not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures!  I love them.  Can you find out how much the Swainsbost house is?  I'd like to buy it!

    And I think they should hunt down anyone who tells someone to commit suicide in a chat room!  Thats horrible.

    ~Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always great photos....enjoyed each one on slideshow....the best way to look at them.  Have a great day...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete