Thursday 31 January 2008

Harmless cannabis

I have never, ever, believed that is true. And today I read a report that yet another aspect of cannabis use makes it more of a danger to health than previously thought. It is actually more dangerous than smoking ordinary tobacco.

It is well documented that long-term smokers run an increased risk of developing a lung disease known as emphysema. Sufferers find it extremely difficult to get their breath. On average, this disease begins to manifest itself around age 65 in smokers. Heavy users of cannabis display symptoms on average around age 41.

Leaving that to one side, the effect on users' mental health can be catastrophic. People with a propensity towards mental health problems run an increased risk to developing psychosis. Young people who use cannabis sometimes show a distinct decline in mental faculties.

Cannabis harmless? Never.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone who smokes that stuff now....but back in the 70's and 80's it was pretty popular. Everyone I knew that did smoke it was ....well....not all there to be honest. LOL!
    I figure it's probably just as popular now, but I'm not around it.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting report.  I don't disagree ~ a man I went to school with has smoked pot since high school.  He barely knows his name, literally.  Doug worked with him for a short time and said his brain is just fried, he can barely speak.  People seem to have a gross misconception that pot is "safe".  It is still very popular around here and very easy to get.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for this info; I'm going to pass it on to some that it might help

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for the imfo,but I don't know anyone who uses  this stuff and happy I don't know too.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lame :-) girl that I am, I never even tried it.  I definitely know some people I could pass this post on to though....~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried the stuff and never wish to. I cannot understand why any sane person wants to put dangerous toxins like cannabis into their body voluntarily.  
    Weak willed is what I call them.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete