Thursday 24 January 2008

Innocence

Win told the story of a girl of 3, who survived home alone for 3 days. by eating out of the fridge. Read Winivere's entry for the whole story.

It put me in mind of a walk I took in southeast Lewis nearly 3 years ago, when I walked from the Eishken Lodge to Balallan, 7½ miles. Halfway up the road, I came upon a ewe which lay virtually motionless on the ground. A glance told me that the crows had already pecked out its eyes. Beside the ewe stood a young lamb (this was on April 20), looking at me uncomprehending. If it had been able to speak it would have said "Why won't my mum get up? She won't give me any milk and I'm hungry". The late afternoon sun shone through its ears, showing them pink. It could not know that its mother's death would mean its own demise within a few days, unless a shepherd or farmer came by. Which would be very unlikely along that road, it being in one of the remotest corners of Lewis.

8 comments:

  1. How awful Guedo..what a thing to have to do leave the poor wee thing to die.  A few years agao I was driving quite near here when I saw a ewe lying on her back unable to get up..I didn't know what to do I certainly couldn't have lifted her,,so I drove to teh nearest Police station...with so many closing not an easy place to find!!  and asked them to find out who the farmer was, and alert him,,whether they did or not I never did find out..but at least I felt I had tried something. But your poor wee lamb was past that kind of help I fear.  Love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for always posting other journals/entries/call to support etc.  I had not checked out Win's journal before, but did after I read this entry of your's and liked what I saw and put her on alerts. I probably wouldn't have found it without this entry of yours.

    that is sad about the lamb; I think it would have been a picture I would always carry with me

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got her alert and read it, oh that was a shocking story..that poor little girl..hope that there will be someone to take care of her real good.
    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for mentioning my journal, Guido... I feel for the little lamb, as well. You confused me with the nickname "Guido," because you have a weather "girl."
    Win =.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad story of the little girl and lamb alike. I would of tried to pick the lamb up or find the farmer and tell him the circumstances. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would have been so sad, but I like happy endings... the farmer that owned them finally found the baby in time to save him.... they had wandered off and got lost.... poor mama, but baby is fine now.  = )

    Thanks,
    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so sad......very sad, Guido.

    lj

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you can guess where that little baby would have ended up had I passed by...in my house with a baby bottle!!  Nature is beautiful but can be so terribly cruel as well.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete