Sunday 13 January 2008

Sunday notes

A dreich old day, although a little less cold than of late. Temperatures 6C / 43F. By dreich I mean wet, grey and overcast.

Across the world, Indonesia former president Suharto is reported to be in a critical condition. He was the country's second leader after independence from Holland in 1949, and ruled Indonesia with an iron fist from 1967 until 1998. He is reported to have topped the world's most corrupt leaders table in 2004.

Saudi Arabia has seen its second execution of 2008, following the conviction for murder of a foreign maid. She had suffocated her female employer and taken her jewellery. The execution, by beheading, took place in public. I am personally opposed to the death penalty, as there is no going back on any errors in the preceding trial once the person has been executed. I will go so far as to say that when in Rome you do as the Romans do.

3 comments:

  1. i can not imagine that any country still uses beheading as capital punishment!
    lj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a public beheading - this is just morbid.  I would not want to witness that under any circumstance.  You have a valid point about not being able to undo the death penalty ~ I think of how many US inmates have been cleared after years in prison once new evidence proved they were not guilty.  Had they been executed, well.  I am in favor of the death penalty in certain cases, some of the horrendous pedophiles who were proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt and or confessed should be put to death in my opinion.  Although I have to say, I would not want to be on the jury who decides this.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the maxim goes...an eye for an eye. Shudder....i guess they don't get many murderers.........

    ReplyDelete