Wednesday 30 January 2008

Wednesday notes

Cold day with occasional wintry showers. We should anticipate gales tonight and tomorrow night, followed by a cold blast from the Arctic. This will only last for a day (Saturday).

Hurricanes flying round my ears at the moment. Gula is bearing down on Mauritius with winds of 90 mph - will need to check the 3pm forecast for an update, as I believe the storm is weakening. The authorities in Mauritius have finally woken up and issued a "Class 1" alert, equivalent to La Reunion's Yellow Alert. The flood of hits on my TC blog continues, with nearly 800 until now.

I was pleased to note that the Australian government intends to issue a formal apology to the Aboriginal people over the way they were treated in the past. This is aimed in particular at the so-called Stolen Generations, children born to Aboriginals who were forcibly taken away from their parents and placed with white families or institutions. This happened between 1915 and 1969. Australian PM Kevin Rudd has said that there will not be a compensation package. Instead, community and healthcare facilities will be improved for the Aboriginal community.

8 comments:

  1. You have educated me on the Aborignal people's issues.  I had no idea this sort of thing went on in those years gone by.
    Community and health care should be a human right for all not just the Aboriginals.  I believe they deserve compensation for being ripped from their parents arms.  How savage!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops!  
    Community and health care should be a human right for all not just the Aboriginals.  
    I would like to rectify this sentence....I'm watching TV whilst answering my alerts and this was not what I meant to say.   Humble apologies!
    Better Community health care facilities should be a human righ already in situt for the Aborigines not given to them as an apology for past 'criminal' acts of the government.   They deserve better compensation than this.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear the officials of Mauritius took you advice and issued a warning - after all it is their repsonsibility.  I had read about the treatment of the aboriginal people, I guess this is a step in the right direction.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's terribly cold here in Minnesota. -38 Fairenheit windhcill   We're going to warm up I think in the next few days.

    Thanks for the news from down under.

    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather is about the same here....cold and miserable. I just went out ot the mailbox and I see there is still a little snow left here and there. Linda in WA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I`m battening down the hatches in readiness for the nasty weather that is forecast. I doubt we`ll get many customers at work tomorrow or Friday. :o(

    Love Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Improved healthcare for the Aborigines...does that indicate that their current  care is substandard? It might have a tangible value, but holds none for those whose families were forcibly torn apart, what an endictment on Oz. I don't follow Kevin Rudd's reasoning..i can't see how a basic right is a sorry token.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right now things are calm, other than high winds today here in Virginia.  Hope that terrible weather clears soon your way.
    Take care...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete