Sunday 27 January 2008

Windfarm - explanatory notes

The events surrounding the Lewis Windfarm can appear confusing if you're not down on the ground, in northern Scotland. I'll try to explain a few points raised in comments to previous entries on this subject.

The fate of the windfarm will be decided within the next 3 weeks. Scottish Ministers have indicated that they are 'minded to reject' the planning application. This gives the developers a final chance to bring up material that would change ministers' mind. Such material would have to include indications that NO violations of the Wildlife and Habitat Directives from the EU would be committed in building the windfarm. That is not likely.

Western Isles Council has staked much on this windfarm, hailing it as the salvation of the local economy. They say it would bring 400 jobs and £6m per annum into the local economy, as well as boosting the local Fabrication Yard, which would make the turbine towers. The problem is that opposition to the whole project runs at 90% of the populace, and it has created deep divisions within the island community. It's not just "an opportunity of a lifetime" that stands to be lost. A lot of "face" also stands to be lost if the windfarm is not approved.

If not here, then where?
The tide in the implementation of renewable energy is slowly turning, and has done so in the three years I've been in Lewis. New technologies have surfaced, such as wave- and tidal power. These have far less environmental impact than windturbines. The Western Isles could play host to such plans, without it being (too much) of an intrusion on the landscape and wildlife habitats. Windfarms are deeply unpopular across Scotland, and plans are being thrown out on a regular basis. Rather than going for wholesale windpower, a mix of renewable energy sources (including wind) should be deployed.

New nuclear powerstations have been ruled out by the current Scottish (devolved) Government, leaving a 40% gap in their energy supply calculations. There will not be a nuclear powerstation in this neck of the woods. With 25,000 residents, the islands do not need this.

Don't forget, you're talking about nationwide energy provision.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to explain and make it clearer.
    I can understand the councillors reasoning now.
    That is a lot of revenue to contemplate turning away.
    I see wind farms regularly here in the Lakes.  Some lie stalk still at Sedbergh, just before you go onto the motorway as you leave Kendal.  I have yet to see them turn.  They are a blot on the landscape.
    There are some more on a hill near the coast at Millom near Barrow-in-Furness.  They are noisy when they turn, which is often as they are exposed to the winds off the Irish Sea close by.  
    I hope the outcome is tidal renewable energy.  That seems more of a constant than the wind.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they make the right decisions.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe they are going to spoil a small village with these not very far from my home town here on the coast.I think the residents there have just lost there fight.The village is beautiful and I can see thes monstrosities realy looking out of place.Thanx for the imfo.Also the disconnections from AOL have started again and are happening continuously it is such a pain trying to comment.I am having to do them three and four times before I get one posted Grrrr.So bare with me if I do not comment in every post.Thankyou I have such a lot to try an dcatch up on Gr AOL.Have a good Sunday Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can fully understand the opposition to the windfarms - from your photos the landscape is beautiful.  Filling it with huge wind towers would create an eyesore and I surely don't see how anyone could argue it would not disrupt any wildlife.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't know where I stand with regards to the wind farms. The nearest I have been to them was in NZ where there are 100's. I can say that being right up next to three of the tallest which were turning slowly there was no noise as such..Like Jeanie says there are quite a few in the Lake district that we see when we go up the M6 and although they are not the prettiest things I can see I can say that I have seen many a worse sight...If they did bring all that work to the islands I suppose it would be a good thing..and athough the residents are objecting I have no doubt they would be first in the q. for a job...and the money.  As for the wildlife, birds etc.  I really think that people must come first ,,there will be no wildlife...even human life..iin a few hundred years...f this global warming contiues.
    So you see.. I really don't know. Think I will have to be one of the majority..sitting on the fence !!  love Sybil x

    ReplyDelete